Thursday, July 18, 2013

Outside the "BOX"

Be encouraged to think outside the "box".

I wanted to share this lesson before school started in hopes that someone might find a way to incorporate it into their year.

When I began my unit on Geometry I was stunned by all the gaps and misconceptions.  I knew going home that night that I would have to think outside the "box".  After brain storming (and trashing) several ideas here is what came to me.


Make sure the students know the vocabulary and formulas. Then take it outside the box.  So after a brief note taking session on formulas and vocabulary we left the "box" (classroom). 
 
Luckily, at my school our main hallway has triangles, trapezoids and squares.  The students used rulers to measure the dimensions they needed in order to find the area and perimeter of each shape. I did not take pictures of their papers up close (in hind site, I should have).
 

 


My main concern was having them apply the formulas to actual problems.  The second was if my students could handle being outside the room to do an activity. As we tend to get loud inside the room, I had to have the discussion of voice levels.  I was so proud of my students they did wonderful! 
 
I apologize for not having more pictures and the noteable that went with this activity. As I go forward this year I will do much better. Continue to come back and see what's going on.  Leave comments as well.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment